Sunday, April 3, 2011

Media Meditation #2: The Tank

Photo Credit: Third Stone Images

One of my more recent media experiences came about a week ago, when I helped out a crew at The Tank Recording Studio, in Burlington. My friend, Ben Collette runs the show at The Tank. He let me join him last Monday, to help setup and record the latest edition of "Exposure" hosted by WRUV 90.1 FM.

The Tank has recently partnered with WRUV 90.1 FM, a non-commercial radio station at the University of Vermont, to present live in-studio sessions featuring local, regional, and national musicians. The hour-long program, which has been on the air for close to 30 years,  features a short interview and a set of music, mixed live to analog tape at The Tank.

Craig Myers playing the "Ngoni", his staple instrument

Last week's session featured the world-beat-grooves of Barika. The instrumental sextet, fronted by Craig Myers (Rubblebucket, Mike Gordon Band) on Ngoni, performed two full sets, recorded and mixed live.

I was lucky enough to have my first (hopefully of many) Exposure session with this great eclectic band, consisting of these outstanding musicians. Before the session, I helped everyone get the studio space ready for the band. Considering the fact that I am a drummer, Ben saw it fit for me to set up the drum set and its microphones, as well as some other various pieces of equipment involved in the recording process.


I also was also pleasantly surprised when they asked me to man one of the free-roaming video cameras involved in the live video stream they put out. As an added bonus, I was glad that I could then use my extensive training in digital filmmaking at Champlain College along with hanging out with great musicians.

Holding a shot on Barika's organ player. Photo Credit: Third Stone Images

I wish to pursue a career in audio engineering in my future, and I believe that aside from my college training, helping out at local studios like The Tank is the best way for me to learn the ropes and get my foot in the door.



This was a portion of the live web-stream switched by Cortex.

Click HERE to check out the entire podcast from the session.

“Exposure” airs Wednesdays at 8pm on WRUV 90.1 FM. You can also visit The Tank's Website for archived audio and video clips from each session.



No comments:

Post a Comment